Monday, January 7, 2008

Quinoa

One of my favorite foods lately is quinoa. It's a grain, but unlike most grains it contains all of the essential amino acids. In other words, its a great source of protein! Quinoa is also a significant source of potassium, iron, magnesium, and calcium. Plus, its suitable for both soy and gluten-free diets. It's found in cold and hot cereals, as a raw grain, and in some more unusual products. Here are some that I have tried:

quinoa smoothie I tried the pina coloda, pretty tasty

Quinoa Corp. They offer many quinoa products. I recommend the Quinoa Flakes as hot cereal with a bit of rice milk, cinnamon and brown sugar.

Plain quinoa can be a protein-rich substitute for rice. I've had it in soup and its quite delicious.
Digg this

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

what interesting uses for quinoa - especially the smoothie!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

quinoa is definitely a versatile grain - your quinoa smoothie idea is so intriguing!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Quinoa in a smoothie? What a cool idea-- I'm always looking for new quinoa recipes, since it's so good for you.